Eighty-five percent of women have cellulite! Fortunately there are new and effective solutions to help reduce the appearance of dimpled, lumpy skin. Cellulite occurs when fat beneath the skin is pushed against the surrounding connective tissue, this bulging causes a lumpy, indented texture.
The main causes of cellulite include: poor circulation, buildup of toxins in your fatty tissues, loose skin, lack of exercise and genetics. For most women their cellulite has a multifactorial origin and requires a combination of treatments to address them all.
Let’s break down the causes and corresponding treatments:
- Poor Circulation: Stimulating blood and lymph flow helps reduce the dimples associated with cellulite. The best way to do this is with a method referred to as “dry brushing.” You can find natural bristle brushed at your local target or pharmacy. The area must be brushed daily for full effect. Brush the area with light pressure until the skin turns a mild pink color.
- Buildup of Toxins: Toxins from diet or chemicals you absorb from lotions can build up in fat cells and cause them to expand. Bladderwrack Seaweed aids the body’s natural detoxification process and removes toxins from the cells, for smoother skin.
- Loose skin: With age and fluctuations in weight the collagen fibers in our tissues weaken, causing dimpling. Skin tightening cream and procedures can help reverse the process and improve skin texture. Specifically, micro-needling with Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) can help re-build collagen, tighten skin and improve the texture. The procedure is simple and painless. First, PRP is derived from the clients own blood, same procedure as drawing blood for annual lab work. Micro-needling creates microchannels in the skin and the PRP is massaged into the skin for absorption.
- Lack of exercise: If you increase your daily activities and exercise you can firm your body and reduce the appearance of cellulite. Weight training and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) have been recognized as the best fat burners. Below we have included an example of an at home HIIT workout that you can use to get started!
- Genetics: While all of the above treatments will help reduce cellulite, women falling into this category might be seeking further treatment. If you’ve failed conservative treatment and PRP with micro-needling the next best option is to see a plastic surgeon and be evaluated for Cellfina. Cellfina is a minimally invasive one time treatment that uses a microblade to cut through fibrous bands that cause cellulite. Results vary by client and can last up to 3 years. Diet and exercise must be maintained for results to last.
Visit my fitness section for at home HIIT training exercises to help burn fat effectively.