This pie is both dairy free and gluten free, free of the top 9 allergens. You could of course use dairy and wheat if you’re not sensitive to it but I like to offer all the options!
This meal is family friendly, my toddler was able to eat the bite size pieces without a problem and it’s also reheats really well for leftovers the next day!
2 Pie crusts I used @wholly
2 C Cooked chicken cubes
1/2 C Yellow onion
3/4 C Carrots
3/4 C Celery
1/2 C Frozen peas
1/2 C Russet potato
1 tsp Garlic, chopped
2 tbsp Olive oil
3 Tbsp Vegan butter
1/3 C Gluten free flour or almond flour
2 1/2 C Chicken broth
1 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
Optional: 1 tsp dried thyme- personally don’t love the flavor but I know it’s in the traditional recipes.
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Remove pie crusts from the freezer and let them sit on the counter top to defrost. Shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes
2. In a large pan heat the olive oil and add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, potatoes and peas. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the onions start to soften.
3. Add the butter and flour. Coat all the veggies.
4. Add the broth very slowly while continuously whisking (about 1/3 of C at a time).
5. Add the salt, pepper and chicken (and thyme if using). Mix well.
6. Pour the mixture into the bottom pie crust. Place the other pie crust on top and pinch the ends with a fork. Don’t worry if the crust breaks when taking it out of the tin. Just smooth it out and seal it the best you can.
7. Bake the pie on a cookie sheet to catch drippings for 45 minutes.
8. Let the pie cool 15-20 minutes before serving!
#healthycomfortfood #dairyfreerecipe #chickenpotpie #glutenfreerecipe